Friday, April 11, 2008

A New Vision


After speaking with my adviser, I realized that my teaching objectives in my classroom are not necessarily aligned with the TESOL content standards. Even when I try to justify the activities for a particular element, I find that it is marginal in terms of alignment. Therefore, I have directed myself toward a new approach to lesson planning. Instead of planning to meet my students' needs, first I must check the standards. Only then will I be able to explain my reason for providing such objectives and activities. This approach is necessary for curriculum development and planning as well as demonstrating better teaching practices.

1 comment:

mnrivera said...

Vito,

Standards are essential to provide age-appropriate,reliable, and valid expectations for our ELLs. Ultimately, it ties to meeting the needs of your students effectively. Do your best to meet the standards, but keep in mind that truly meeting the needs of your students is one that will make a difference for ELLs and promote lifelong learning. Reflect upon that, for that's what makes teaching dynamic. Good luck, and continue to do your best as an ESL teacher!

-Dr. Rivera