Since my last blog, I have come to many new realizations.
First, my motivation in learning is highly dependent on the degree to which success is attainable. In other words, I am more adamant about fulfilling my educational goals in a course if the finish line has been predetermined. But when the line is moved more than once and is consistently placed further and further the closer I approach it, then I tend to lose motivation. This understanding of my personal educational motivation can easily be translated and cultivated into my teaching philosophy. Although motivation is difficult to measure, I must consider that students need to feel the sense of accomplishment - even if morsel - so that they can push themselves further.
Second, I found that without proper guidance, students make mistakes, mistakes lead to disasters and disasters deter from success. I found this out the hard way, and I will not let my students suffer similarly. Students need consistent guidance. Although there is a point to which guidance turns into dependency, there is always a time - especially at the onset of a program - where students will need to be led during part of their journey.
Lastly, I learned that students cannot do everything by themselves without flaws. That is why it is of utter importance that an adviser or trusted instructor be available to assist students in need. It is my goal then, to make myself more approachable so that students will be comfortable when they need my help.
I have learned a lot of valuable things during this admissions ordeal. Ironically, the events that have led up to my current revelation proves that learning never ends and that teachers are students too. The lessons I have learned are applicable to my life.
Tuesday, May 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Vito,
Continue to hold your head up high and do your best to ensure that you meet all the requirements necessary to succeed. It'll be challenging, but with much determination and faith, you can do it!
-Dr. Rivera
Post a Comment